Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Kothanda Rameswara Temple, Bokkasampalem – History

Kothanda Rameswara Temple, Bokkasampalem – History

This temple was built in early 10th century CE by Chola King Parantaka Chola I in memory of his father, Aditya Chola I. There is an inscription dating to the 34th regnal year of Parantaka I (941 CE) on the north base of the central shrine of this temple. This inscription records the temple as Kothanda Rameswaram / Adityeswara Azhwar Temple and informs that the temple was Pallipadai (memorial sepulchral) Temple erected in honour of Chola King Aditya I (Kodandarama). This inscription further records the endowment made for conducting the rituals, festivals and feeding the devotees.

Aditya Chola I (870 – 907 CE), the son of Vijayalaya Chola, was the Chola king who extended the Chola dominions by the conquest of the Pallavas and occupied the Western Ganga Kingdom. He was also called as Kodanda Raman. During the Pandyan invasion of Pallava Kingdom, the Chola King Aditya Chola I and the Ganga King Prithvipathi I sided with the Pallava King Nripatunga. The combined forces of Pallavas and the army of Pandyan King Varaguna Pandya were routed by Aparajita Pallava and Aditya I Chola at Thirupurambiyam battle.

Although the victor of the Thirupurambiyam battle was Aparajita, the real gains went to Aditya I Chola. This battle ensured the end of Pandya power in the south. Pandya Varagunavarman renounced his throne and followed an ascetic life. Pallava King Aparajita allowed Aditya I Chola to control the new territories gained in the war. Later, Aditya Chola killed the Pallava King Aparajita in a battle in 903 CE and annexed the Pallava Kingdom (Thondai Mandalam) to his dominion.

The conquest of the Tondaimandalam earned the epithet Thondainadu Pavina Rajakesarivarman for Aditya Chola I.  Aditya Chola I also conquered the Kongu region. Aditya Chola I is claimed to have built a number of temples for Lord Shiva along the banks of the Cauvery. He died in 907 CE at Thandaimanarrur. His son Parantaka Chola I built this temple over his ashes. Tondaimanad was formerly called Thondaiman Arrur in Arrur Nadu, a division of Tiruvengala Kottam in Thondainadu.

No comments:

Post a Comment